Weekly Photo Challenge: Half-Light

The theme of this week’s WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge is HALF-LIGHT. We have been asked to share a photograph inspired by a favorite poem, verse, story, or lyric.

These photos remind me of a favorite Rogers and Hammerstein song It Might As Well Be Spring.

A cherry tree starting to open in the half-light of a gray afternoon in a misting rain:

IMG_0397

Itoh peony ‘Bartzella’ poking up, as if to say, “Here I am, so it might as well be spring.”

IMG_0399

About johnvic8

John Viccellio retired after 24 years in the U. S. Navy and began to dig into gardening when he could finally land in one place. He completed the Master Gardener course in 1992 and has since designed and constructed two of his own gardens. He wrote a monthly garden column for ten years and has been a regular contributor to Carolina Gardener magazine. John published his first book, Guess What's in My Garden!, in 2014. He lives in Stallings, NC with his wife, in close proximity to seven of his eight grandchildren.
This entry was posted in Gardening, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Half-Light

1. lulu says:

And new life begins.

Liked by 1 person

2. Pingback: Half-Light (When the road gets dark) | What's (in) the picture?

3. Tina Schell says:

Definitely!! Spring is all around us this week. Hurrah!

4. johnvic8 says:

Hooray and back at you. Thanks.

5. You caught the light of a misty day very nicely.

6. pierrmorgan says:

I’ll ditto Victoria!

Liked by 1 person

7. claywatkins says:

Great photos…..your spring is a bit earlier than ours… the daffodils were about to bloom in my world last week, hopefully they’ll be blooming soon. Have a great day.

• johnvic8 says:

Thank you, Clay. Our world is now showing dogwoods and cherries and wisteria. It all goes by so quickly, but spring is certainly a fun and uplifting time. Your turn is coming.

8. dunelight says:

I have to wait to see if my peonies made it. They always do but I lifted a lot of them and put 18 more inches of soil under them. I live in the dunes…laid 6-8″ of soil in my gardens but when those peony roots hit the sand they went sideways and refused to bloom. I tried the digging out a bushel of sand and replacing it with soil with one peony first as it was such hard work. The pay off was brilliant so I girded my loins, bought a shed load of soil and did the rest. I’m eager for June. It should be spectacular.

9. litadoolan says:

The magnolia tree in a park near us has just come into bloom and the blossoms in your post reminds me of that. What beautiful flowers on the cherry tree. Awesome.

Liked by 1 person

Replies welcome...really!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s